In light of everything happening in our community right now, we have been thinking a lot about our core values here at Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation. We wanted to share them with you to communicate one simple message:
We are here for you.
We are not going anywhere, and our goal will continue to be, as it always has been, to remove barriers rather than raise them.
Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF) was founded as an option for individuals who want to pay for needed assistive technology devices themselves. PATF is not to be thought of as a program of last resort, meaning: all avenues of potential funding do not have to be exhausted before a loan application is considered. PATF’s key principles are:
- Individuals with disabilities and/or family members make the decision to apply for a loan. It is one’s choice to seek financing to purchase assistive technology and to select the assistive technology equipment and services needed.
- There is no requirement that a loan applicant must have been turned down by other funding resources before s/he can apply for a loan.
- Consumers can purchase the equipment and/or service s/he wants. The consumer also chooses the vendor or contractor with whom they want to work. PATF does not require multiple bids for goods and services.
- PATF does not require that the applicant provide proof of disability. Applicants must describe how the device or service they wish to purchase is assistive technology.
- PATF will provide services to all residents of Pennsylvania, regardless of disability diagnosis, age of onset, county of residence, age, or income level. A borrower must be willing and able to repay a loan.
- In accordance with federal and state law, Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation does not discriminate on the basis of race, disability, national origin, age, creed, color, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. To file a complaint of discrimination, write to Department of Treasury, Office of Civil Rights and Diversity, 1500 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, D.C. 20220 or call (202) 622-1160.
- PATF believes in maintaining high standards of financial integrity. Our books are audited by an independent auditor on an annual basis and are available upon request by calling (888) 744-1938. Financial statements can also be found on www.guidestar.org.
We make our loan application process as simple and straightforward as possible, and offer individual support, advocacy, and a listening ear to our applicants all along the way.
We also offer information and assistance, education, and advocacy beyond our financial loans. Do you need help navigating the funding resources available for the assistive technology you want? Contact us. We will do everything we can to help.