Thursday, October 3, 2019 in Harrisburg, PA
Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF) is holding its first financial empowerment conference for people with disabilities on October 3, 2019 in Harrisburg. “Vision for the Future” will bring together individuals with disabilities, family members, service providers, nonprofit organizations, and policy makers to discuss, collaborate, and learn about financial education. The conference is a one-day, free, accessible event open to the public. Registration is required. A limited number of scholarships are available to people with disabilities and their families to help defray the cost of travel and lodging. Certificates of completion will be available.
Why this Conference? Why Now?
Money plays a critical role in our daily lives. Unfortunately, many people have not had the opportunity to learn effective money management skills.
As we seek to help individuals with disabilities achieve greater independence, we need to provide them with financial education so that they will have the tools they need to plan for their own financial futures.
Let’s Come Together as a Community!
Change cannot happen in a vacuum. Change occurs only when many people across different sectors come together for a common purpose. That’s why we need you to join with us!
You will learn:
- The key topic areas that are included within financial education;
- The importance of integrating financial education in our schools and community programs for better employment and independent living outcomes;
- The difference between financial education and financial planning;
- The unique challenges that individuals with disabilities face around money matters and the tools that are available to address these issues;
- The financial education resources that are available to Pennsylvanians;
- The touchpoint opportunities for delivering financial education (e.g. Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act, Home and Community-Based Service waiver programs); and
- The ways programs like PATF’s Money Club can empower people with disabilities to gain financial capability and become self-advocates.
Social Media Toolkit
Help promote the conference by grabbing text and images to promote on your social media channels and through your e-newsletters. Thank you! [Get the Social Media Toolkit]