PATF has two loan programs:
(as of January 18, 2021)
|$100 – $7,000*||over $7,000**|
|Repayment Terms||Minimum monthly payment of $20. Maximum repayment term is 4 years.||Repayment term is based upon the expected life of the device.|
|Examples of AT||
* If the applicant meets eligibility guidelines and PATF has funds available, we will extend a one-time only partial grant in conjunction with the Mini-Loan. This will lower the amount of the loan. See Mini-Grant section below. PATF does not extend grants only.
** PATF’s Low-Interest Loans are processed by our partner banks. If the bank is confident about an applicant’s ability to repay the loan, the loan may be approved as a traditional loan for up to $60,000. If there are credit issues such as a low FICO (link-Tracy) score, high debt-to-income ratio, or no credit history, the bank may request PATF’s Board of Directors guarantee or back the loan. If the Board agrees to do so, the maximum amount for a guaranteed Low-Interest Loan is $35,000.Read Our Loan FAQs
Who is eligible to apply?
- PATF is a program for Pennsylvania residents who need assistive technology devices and/or services.
- PATF can help people of all ages, disabilities and health conditions.
- People of all income levels may apply for a loan. An applicant must have an ability and willingness to repay a loan.
All PATF loan applications must include a vendor quote that specifies the cost of the assistive technology that will be purchased with the loan. PATF can extend loans in amounts lower than the cost of the assistive technology, but cannot extend a loan in an amount greater than the cost of the assistive technology.
PATF will extend loans to purchase a broad range of assistive technology. Examples include, but are not limited to the following:
- Wheelchairs and scooters
- Hearing aids
- Computers, tablets and specialized software
- Smart home technology
- Vehicles that have been adapted or require adaptations
- Home modifications for accessibility
- Adaptive sports equipment
Loan Repayment Terms
The length of the loan term is based on the expected useful life of the assistive technology device to be purchased.
General Criteria for a Loan
PATF does not discriminate because of race, disability, color, national origin, age, gender, creed, sexual orientation, or gender identity or expression. All borrowers are treated fairly and according to the same standards.
The loan applicant can be the person with the disability, an older Pennsylvanian, or someone who is applying on behalf of the person with the disability, including a family member or acquaintance.
Four important considerations when PATF is reviewing an application for approval are:
- Assistive technology device/service and its purpose
- Credit history
- Debt-to-income ratio
- Ability to repay the loan
If the applicant has a history of credit problems, they must demonstrate that there is a workable plan to deal with these problems.
PATF does not extend grants only. If a loan applicant meets eligibility guidelines and PATF has funds available, we will extend a one-time only partial grant in conjunction with the Mini-Loan. This will lower the amount of the loan by no more than 50%, a maximum of $1,000. There are three types of Mini-Grants:
- Mini-Grants for Borrowers who are Low-Income: The Mini-Loan borrower must exhaust all other funding options and must have a household income that is no greater than 200% of Federal Poverty Guidelines.
- Mini-Grants for Tablet Technology: Available for a limited time in conjunction with a Mini-Loan for tablet technology. Borrowers of any income level are eligible for this grant.
- Mini-Grants for Assistive Technology that Supports People who are Blind or Low-Vision: Available for a limited time in conjunction with a Mini-Loan for technology that supports someone who is blind or has low vision. Borrowers of any income level are eligible for this grant.
Grants are not available without application for a Mini-Loan. All Mini-Loan applications are reviewed for partial grant eligibility and applicants will be notified if they have received one. You cannot apply for a Mini-Grant only.