Tax Time… Get Ready!
Wednesday, March 17, 2021 from 1:00 – 2:00 p.m.
Please contact us if you have any difficulty accessing these materials or to request materials in a different format.
Tax season is here. Everyone wants to make sure that they get their taxes right and pay their fair share, but not more. However, filing taxes can be confusing and stressful. Taxes are a fact of life when you are working and there may be an opportunity to receive a large payment through your tax refund. Join us as we break down taxes into simple concepts and discuss how to prepare to file your taxes this year.
You’ll also learn more about free tax preparation programs and resources that may be able to help, including the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, which offers low to moderate-income individuals assistance with filing their taxes. And, you’ll hear a personal account from someone who has used VITA services to file their taxes.
Attendees will learn about:
- The Who, What, and When of income taxes and how they are calculated,
- The key components of a 1040 form and how you can review your own,
- Programs that can help with tax preparation in Pennsylvania, and
- How to get the most out of your tax refund.
This session is part of Money Talks, a free webinar series on financial empowerment for people with disabilities hosted by Pennsylvania Assistive Technology Foundation (PATF). Learn more at patf.us/MoneyTalks.
- Alena Anderson, Program Manager, United for Families, United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania – Alena Anderson is the Program Manager for United for Families at the United Way of Southwestern Pennsylvania. United for Families aims to help financially struggling families in our region achieve self-sufficiency by helping to prevent homelessness and hunger, increase household income, and overcome employment challenges. An innovative and enthusiastic social service professional, Alena has over 15 years of experience serving financially vulnerable populations through direct service, advocacy and program evaluation and development. In her current role, Alena has the primary responsibility for oversight and expansion of key investments and initiatives aimed at helping families gain financial stability through programs such as the Siemer Institute for Family Stability, United for Women and Free Tax Preparation Campaign.
- Holly Zugay, CFP®, Senior Financial Education Officer, Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency – Holly Zugay is a seasoned financial educator, writer, and presenter specializing in community-based financial education for adults. She has worked with national, state, and local non-profit organizations and government agencies in the areas of financial education program development, training, outreach, and delivery. Ms. Zugay is currently the financial education officer with the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA). In this capacity, she leads the financial literacy initiatives and training across the organization and has designed PHFA’s flagship financial education program, Building Your Financial House.
- Samantha Vollrath, 811 Project Rental Assistance Program Lead, Self-Determination Housing of Pennsylvania
Return to Webinars